How do I reinstate my business if it has been administratively dissolved by the N.C. Secretary of State?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

If your business has been administratively dissolved by the North Carolina Secretary of State, you will need to take the following steps to reinstate it:

  1. Determine the reason for the dissolution: Before you can reinstate your business, you need to understand why it was administratively dissolved. The Secretary of State’s office should have sent you a notice explaining the reason for the dissolution.
  2. Correct the issue: Once you understand the reason for the dissolution, you need to correct the issue. This may involve filing missing annual reports, paying outstanding fees or taxes, or updating your business information with the Secretary of State’s office.
  3. File for reinstatement: Once you have corrected the issue, you can file for reinstatement with the Secretary of State’s office. You will need to file the appropriate forms and pay any fees associated with reinstatement.
  4. Wait for approval: After you file for reinstatement, the Secretary of State’s office will review your application and may request additional information or documentation. If your application is approved, your business will be reinstated.

It’s important to note that the process for reinstating a business can be complex, and it’s recommended that you consult with an attorney or a business advisor for guidance. Additionally, depending on the reason for the dissolution, there may be penalties or fines associated with reinstatement.

Will Blackton is a business lawyer based in Raleigh, North Carolina. You can reach Will at or (919) 636-5979.

How do I leave my employer to start a business?

Should I incorporate my business?

How should my company be owned?

How should I hire employees and contractors for my business?

Industry-Specific Questions for North Carolina Businesses

N.C. General Statuteswhat’s this?

N.C. Administrative CodeWhat’s this?

N.C. Secretary of StateWhat’s this?

N.C. Department of LaborWhat’s this?

N.C. Department of RevenueWhat’s this?

N.C. Case Law SearchWhat’s This?

I.R.S. E.I.N. ApplicationWhat’s This?